This is an excellent opportunity for a proactive and well organised HR Assistant to join an award winning organisation. The successful applicant will provide high quality administrative support to the business and the HR Manager, helping to ensure that the Company maintains statutory compliance in all its HR activities.
The successful applicant will work closely with the HR Manager as well as other key members of staff in an informal, friendly but professional working environment.
Reporting to the HR Manager and reviewed by the HR Manager.
Key tasks and responsibilities
The key tasks and responsibilities listed below are intended to be a guide to the range and level of work expected of the post holder. This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the post holder who will be expected to carry out any tasks for which they are appropriately experienced and qualified as may be required by the HR Manager or the Board.
- Act as point of contact for general HR queries, providing administrative information/advice where possible and escalating issues to the HR Manager as required.
- Arrange return to work meetings following employee sickness and record data accordingly. Carry out some of these meetings as directed by the HR Manager
- Collate sickness data and other performance-related HR data as required by the Board for analysis by the HR Manager and presentation to the Board.
- Arrange levers meetings and prepare documentation on behalf of the HR Manager and/or a Director. The HR Manager will conduct these interviews but as directed by the HR Manager the post holder may be required to conduct these on occasions
- Arrange student review meetings and associated paperwork on behalf of the HR Manager. The HR Manager and/or a Director will conduct these reviews.
- Scan and send documentation to relevant service providers as directed and/or as required by our contract with such providers (e.g. licence checks and health care applications, Home Office,).
- Diarise fixed-term contract meetings on behalf of the HR Manager ensuring that employees are notified of the need to attend such meetings before the end of their fixed term contract and in accordance with their contract of employment.
- Respond to mortgage, tenancy and other reference requests.
- Liaise with IT, Facilities Manager and other key people on new starter dates to ensure that all appropriate welcome arrangements are made and equipment and facilities are in place.
- Support the HR Manager in maintaining paper and electronic based employee files. Carry out audits of these files as requested by the HR Manager or the Board.
- Archive leaver files, ensuring that leaver data is passed to payroll and relevant third parties (e.g. IDS, health care provider, etc).
- Support the Board and HR Manager in the creation, communication, review and amendment of HR procedures and processes.
Fleet & Parking Administration
- Track and log company car and grey fleet data, collecting supporting documentation for the files e.g. licence checks and insurance details.
- Liaise with third parties in relation to fleet repairs and accident administration as requested by the HR Manager.
Recruitment & Selection
- Monitor the HR recruitment inbox. Sort and respond to applications in a timely manner.
- Support the HR Manager with recruitment activities for support staff and chargeable staff where required. This may include coordinating interview schedules, liaising with recruitment agencies and advertising vacancies.
- Assist with interview administration and organisation, if requested.
- Arrange meeting rooms and order catering as required.
- Collate employment contractual documentation for review by the HR Manager and pass to the appropriate Director for signing. Ensure that all contractual documents are kept up to date and amendments made to templates as agreed by the Board.
- Send welcome emails to new starters prior to arrival.
- Coordinate inductions and collate induction packs for new starters.
- Create new employee files and update DCA information with new starter information in accordance with data protection requirements.
- Administer employment checks to prevent illegal working.
- Seek and follow up on employment references and respond to employment reference requests.
- In conjunction with the HR Manager maintain the preferred supplier list of agencies, together with agreed terms and conditions and negotiated rates, for the recruitment of support and chargeable staff.
- Liaise with the Home Office and other immigration agencies relating to visa and licence applications. In support of the HR Manager and the Company.
- Carry out DBS clearance checks with the appropriate third party. Raising any issues with the HR Manager.
Pay & Benefits
- Liaise with payroll in relation to starters, leavers and employee data changes.
- Record data on to Select Pay where appropriate. Use reporting tools as required.
- Monitor the Holiday inbox and authorise absences, highlighting anomalies to the HR Manager.
- Update holiday cards using reports from the timesheet software. Flag any issues to the HR Manager as appropriate.
- Coordinate the Cycle to Work Scheme and all associated documentation.
- Coordinate the childcare scheme (currently KiddiVouchers) and all associated documentation.
- Coordinate the annual data protection registration.
- Maintain record of employee start dates and inform HR Manager and relevant Director when any set trigger date is approaching.
Training, Learning & Development
- Record training/development activities on the DCA Training Database. Maintain and amend these records in a timely manner.
- When required, assist with the organisation of training events both internal and external.
- Assist with the updating and maintaining of HR information held on the Company intranet.
- Release announcements on relevant notice boards and via email relating to new starters, leavers, promotions, appointments, etc. as instructed by the HR Manager/Board.
General Administration & Activities
- Cover the office in the absence of the HR Manager working with the Directors and administrative staff as appropriate.
- Maintain notice boards across all sites. Ensuring that information is relevant and up to date.
- Proactively develop a good appreciation of DCA's business and general working practices.
- Provide administrative support to the H&S Manager when necessary.
- Regularly dispose of HR confidential waste ensuring that confidentiality is applied during the process.
- Support the HR Manager and associated colleagues with arrangements for DCA’s social activities.
- Actively log and proactively follow up on documentation such as references, contractual paperwork, induction sign offs, annual reviews, etc.
Qualifications & training
A level English language or equivalent.
GCSE Maths at grade C or above or equivalent.
Level 3 CIPD
Experience of maintaining effective administration recording with a high level of skill in written English, organisational skills and attention to detail.
Worked within a small team.
Experience in a similar-sized organisation (130 headcount)
Skills, knowledge & aptitudes
We offer competitive salaries, with other benefits such as discretionary bonus and profit related pay schemes, as well as regular development training.
To apply for this position please send your CV along with your cover letter. All personal data will be held in accordance with our Data Protection policy and notices.Apply Now