Senior Human Factors Specialist
We are looking for a senior human factors specialist to join our award-winning, multi-disciplinary, product development team.
We are searching for a very special individual who shares a passion for both creativity and scientific rigour. We need someone who is comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty. Someone who considers, and clearly articulates, the needs of a wide range of users to the wider project team. We are looking for someone who thrives in a team, but can also work autonomously. As a Senior Human Factors Specialist, you would be expected to plan and lead the human factors elements of a range of projects.
The role will involve supporting product development projects across our four sectors (Medical & scientific, Transport, Consumer, and Industrial commercial). These projects will be diverse, covering everything from toothbrushes to trains. Recent examples include next generation of connected medical devices, large-scale machines for treating cancer, automotive HMIs, aircraft cockpits, train cabs and interiors, and sustainable packaging solutions for the world’s leading FMCG brands. Through all these projects, our common purpose is to deliver commercially successful product design for our clients that both improves the lives of people and the impact on our planet.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work, collaboratively, with talented colleagues on fascinating design and development projects with global impact, often seeing the design through from initial specification to launch.
- The opportunity to work with some of the world’s most exciting and innovative brands and companies, including Bentley, GSK, Hitachi, Reckitt, Rolls-Royce, Sanofi to tackle some of the most challenging issues.
- The opportunity to work in a Registered Consultancy of the UK Chartered Institute of Ergonomics & Human Factors (CIEHF) with the support of world-leading experts.
- A great work life balance, with paid overtime for the occasions when extra help is needed.
- The opportunity to grow with regular professional and technical development opportunities.
What we expect
- A formal qualification in Human Factors, User Centred Design or similar (e.g. BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Experience of applying human factors tools within multidisciplinary teams
- Experience of leading the human factors aspects of a project (planning and conducting in-depth interviews, facilitating workshops, conducting desk-based assessments of design concepts)
- Experience of planning and facilitating user studies
- Exceptional communication skills (on paper and in person)
- Willingness to travel (when safe to do so)
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to split time across multiple projects
What we would love to see
- Experience of working in a creative environment (e.g. a design consultancy, in-house design team)
- Experience of developing medical devices (an understanding of FDA human factors guidelines, IEC62366 and the latest MDR requirements)
- Experience of working in highly regulated environments (e.g. rail, nuclear, etc.)
- Evidence of being a human factors evangelist – experience of supporting others in developing an understanding of the importance of human factors
- Experience supporting business development (meeting with potential clients) and supporting the preparation of proposal documents
- Membership of a recognised Human Factors professional body (e.g. CIEHF, HFES) or working towards it
- A strong technical understanding (ideally with a qualification in Engineering and/or Design)
- Competitive salaries – including paid overtime
- Bonus and profit-related pay schemes
- Pension scheme
- Professional membership
- Social schemes
To apply for this position please send your CV along with your cover letter.
All personal data will be held in accordance with our Data Protection policy and notices.
- Senior Design Researcher and Strategist
- Senior Electronics Engineer
- Senior Human Factors Specialist
- Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Graduate Mechanical Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer
- Graduate Software Engineer
- Electronics Student Placement
- Embedded Software Student Placement
- Mechanical Engineer Placement
- Senior Industrial Designer