Senior IT Technician: Infrastructure
This is an excellent opportunity for a proactive and well organised IT professional to join an award winning multi-disciplinary product design consultancy. DCA’s IT networking team are responsible for ensuring maximum uptime for a computer network comprising both physical and virtual servers, together with hierarchical storage hosting large volumes of data. System management ensures that DCA staff, clients and contractors are provided with controlled but constantly available access to a wide variety of data types from both on-site and world-wide locations. Constant monitoring and proactive working ensures that work-flow interruptions are kept to an absolute minimum at all times, particularly during core working hours.
In addition, data security is paramount. We operate comprehensive systems and procedures to protect our data against the risk of loss or corruption and to protect the confidentiality of our data, which is of very high commercial value.
This role primarily relates to DCA’s core network infrastructure – servers, storage, networking, and comms.
The successful applicant will work closely on a daily basis with the Head of IT Infrastructure and the IT Manager as well as other key members of staff in an informal, friendly but professional working environment. The role is based in our headquarters and studio office on Church Street in Warwick, but will involve work across all DCA’s premises, currently all located within walking distance in Warwick.
This role reports on a daily basis to the Head of IT Infrastructure and reviewed by the IT Manager.
The Technical Director is responsible for all IT related staff, resources and facilities.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
The key tasks and responsibilities listed below are intended to be a guide to the range and level of work expected of the post holder. This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the post holder who will be expected to carry out any tasks for which they are appropriately experienced and qualified as may be required by the Board:
- Provide support to and absence cover for the Head of IT Infrastructure across a wide variety of systems including monitoring (with appropriate remedial action when required); the implementation of new systems; and changes / upgrades to existing systems.
- Planning, budgeting and implementing through a mix of inhouse or external resources, as necessary, network infrastructure projects under the supervision of the Head of IT Infrastructure and/or the IT Manager.
- Act as a key contact when the enduser support team requires assistance with problems related to core network infrastructure. This may involve responding to enduser queries via an in-house (Kaseya) ticketing system.
- Take ownership of problem management for endto-end resolution, liaising with other IT team members and 3rd parties as required.
- Maintain documentation for relevant IT infrastructure, including system configurations, troubleshooting procedures and processes relating to enduser documentation.
- Plan, schedule and conduct planned maintenance, liaising with relevant key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Monitor and respond to IT infrastructure alerts. This may be within core office hours or outside of these hours, when an onsite visit may occasionally be required.
- Ensure that data backup strategies are maintained, verified and updated as required.
- Working with the IT Manager and Technical Director to generate an annual budget for network infrastructure related purposes.
- A minimum of five years working in an IT environment with at least 3 years in a similar role.
- Team player with the ability to integrate into an existing team.
- Willingness to openly share and build upon relevant knowledge to ensure a consistent and constantly updated IT Team knowledge base.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills. The ability to clearly and concisely communicate solutions to the IT Team, DCA staff and DCA clients is essential.
- Excellent problemsolving skills.
- Attention to detail with the capability to plan and prioritise.
- Flexible ‘can do’ approach. Occasional out of-hours working, including response to system failures, may be required to upgrade and maintain systems, and resolve IT infrastructure problems whilst incurring minimum disruption to the work requirement of other DCA staff.
- Microsoft MCP, CompTIA N+ qualifications desirable.
- Microsoft Windows server support (2012 to 2019), particularly on HP hardware.
- Microsoft Active Directory implementation, e.g. DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, VOIP, Group Policy. Creating file shares and setting NTFS permissions.
- Familiarity with data backup (Disk to Disk and Disk to Tape) using Veritas Backup Exec to manage backup / restore jobs and tape devices including robotic libraries.
- Experience of virtual environments using VMware/ESXi is desirable, though not essential, if a thorough working knowledge of virtualisation concepts can be demonstrated, e.g. creating virtual machines and adding resources to them, connecting to storage via iSCSI, and monitoring performance of VMs and hypervisors.
- Familiarity with network storage concepts: iSCSI, SAN, NAS, FCoE. NetApp experience (VSC through vSphere, creating and resizing volumes, creating and monitoring SnapMirror schedules, CIFS and NFS) highly desirable. Creating NAS volumes and configuring Rsync replication jobs – together with management of data-access via Permissions.
- Firewall: WatchGuard experience not necessary but some experience configuring firewall policies and IPsec VPNs / BOVPN with any enterprise level firewall.
- Telephone system: Unify X5 phone system, setting up new handsets and users would be a minimum.
- A demonstrable ability to document technical procedures.
- Familiarity with the systems required to provide extremely secure data storage, data access, and data transmission.
- Wireless networking in a corporate/multi-site environment.
- Network cabling installation, including both in-house installations and monitoring cabling contractors.
To apply for this position please send your CV along with your cover letter. All personal data will be held in accordance with our Data Protection policy and notices.Apply Now