Software student placement
We're looking for the best-embedded software students to join us for 6-12 month industrial placements at our offices in Warwick. You’ll be contributing to our projects from the outset, working as part of the DCA team in areas such as software planning, design, coding, debugging, and testing. Our primary projects involve embedded software running on various microcontrollers, often with test scripts running in Python on a PC or Raspberry Pi.
We regularly sponsor the best of our placement students and many have joined DCA on graduation.
You will benefit from improving not only your software engineering skills but your hardware and electronics knowledge as well. In addition to working on customer-based projects, you may also be required to research new software tools and technologies to aid in future development and help improve software development procedures.
We'll help you to get up to speed with our design tools and our approach to project work while giving you appropriate responsibility for work on real client projects. You'll need to be enthusiastic, motivated, self-reliant, and able to manage your time, but help and support will of course be available when required - we assign a mentor to each student to help you settle in, to agree on objectives and support your development goals during your time with us.
A placement here will complement your studies and give you the advantage that comes with hands-on experience on real commercial projects. Because our projects are so varied and we only employ the best engineers you'll get a great range of exposure to different aspects of software systems engineering and you'll learn a lot along the way.
There's a vibrant atmosphere at DCA in which you'll quickly be made to feel part of the team. There are many company events and informal social activities going on, so you will certainly have some fun during your time with us, in and out of the office!
- The ability to program in C/embedded C to a reasonable level.
- A working knowledge of Java, C# or Python.
- A basic knowledge of embedded systems and relevant hardware.
- A proactive, enthusiastic, and self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Passionate about identifying and solving problems (e.g. debugging other people’s software).
- Experience in using electrical circuits and embedded microcontrollers, e.g. Arduino
- A basic knowledge of UML design.
- An awareness of coding standards (e.g. MISRA).
- Experience in connecting up basic electronics, e.g. to interface to an Arduino or Pi
PAY AND BENEFITS
We offer competitive rates of pay. You will be entitled to 22 days of holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays, adjusted on a pro-rata basis for placements of less than 12 months.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected], clearly indicating that you are applying for an embedded software student placement and an indication of your preferred placement dates. We will then review applications and invite successful candidates for interview.
To apply for this position please send your CV along with your cover letter.
All personal data will be held in accordance with our Data Protection policy and notices.