Software student placement
We are looking for exceptional software placement student to join our successful, dynamic technical team.
Founded in 1960, DCA is one of the world’s leading product design and development consultancies, operating in many diverse markets and with services ranging from design research and strategy to industrial design, mechanical engineering, electronic hardware and software engineering. While you may not have heard of us before, you've probably used a product that was designed here.
We're looking for the best embedded software students to come to our offices in Warwick (UK) for industrial placements lasting between six and twelve months. This is an ideal role for an undergraduate student specialising in embedded systems software engineering, who will benefit from gaining valuable experience in all aspects of the software development life cycle. The candidate will be required to participate and contribute towards software feasibility studies, design, coding, debugging and testing. DCA are involved in a wide range of software projects including medical devices, fluid pumps, web based applications and PC based test tools, however our primary projects involve embedded software running on various microcontrollers. A student will benefit from improving not only their software engineering skills but their hardware and electronics knowledge as well. In addition to contributing towards customer-based projects, the student may also be required to research new software tools and technologies to aid in future development and help improve software development procedures (including software, scripts and documentation).
We'll help you to get up to speed with our design tools and our approach to project work while giving you appropriate responsibility for work that needs doing. You'll need to be enthusiastic, motivated, self-reliant and able to manage your time, but help and support will be available when required - we assign a mentor to students when they arrive to help settle in.
A placement here will complement your studies and give you the advantage that comes with hands-on experience when looking for a job after university. Because our projects are so varied and we only employ the best engineers, you'll get a great range of exposure to different aspects of software design and you'll learn a lot along the way. There's a vibrant atmosphere at DCA in which you'll quickly be made to feel part of the team and our placement students manage to have some fun as well as meeting the challenges of the job.
PAY AND BENEFITS
We offer competitive rates of pay. You will be entitled to 22 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays, adjusted on a pro rata basis for placements of less than 12 months.
- The ability to program in C/embedded C to a reasonable level.
- A working knowledge of Java, C# or Python.
- An understanding of the software development life cycle.
- A basic knowledge of embedded systems and relevant hardware.
- A proactive, enthusiastic and self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- The ability to problem-solve (e.g. debug other people’s software).
- A basic knowledge of UML design.
- An awareness of coding standards (e.g. MISRA).
- An understanding of approaches to software testing: unit, integration and system tests.
- Experience of using electrical circuits and embedded microcontrollers, e.g. Arduino
- Experience in designing basic hardware, e.g. to interface to an Arduino or Pi
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you are applying for a software student placement, with an indication of your preferred placement dates. We will review applications and invite candidates for interview in early December 2016.