Senior electronics engineer
We are looking to recruit an exceptional electronics engineer with extensive product development experience to join our successful and growing product design and development technical team. First-hand experience of working within a consultancy environment would be a clear advantage.
You will be challenged with a broad range of often complex technical challenges, so your analogue and digital hardware design skills will need to be excellent. You will be required to take on technical leadership roles, liaising directly with our clients, as well as work package and/or project management responsibilities.
You will be required to:
- Develop specifications and test documents for electronic and electromechanical products.
- Develop architectural designs, including hardware/software partitioning.
- Undertake design feasibility studies and investigations, identifying and evaluating new technologies.
- Develop analogue and digital electronic circuit schematic designs, and then manage and oversee the generation of PCB designs.
- Participate in peer reviewing of designs.
- Manage prototype manufacture, testing (including EMC testing) iterative design refinements, then manufacturing support and liaison with the customer or their preferred manufacturer.
- Contribute to planning multidisciplinary projects at a detailed task level, defining tasks and their relationships, and estimating their durations and work content to develop development budgets.
- Manage the electronics work packages in multidisciplinary projects, monitoring and controlling performance against deadlines and budgets, reporting to project managers and liaising with other project teams.
- Potentially manage multidisciplinary projects, monitoring and controlling performance against deadlines and budgets, and reporting to project directors.
- Participate in the sales process, meeting new clients and then preparing quotations for presentation to the client.
- Potentially work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Provide technical design guidance to engineers from other disciplines in electromechanical projects, and other engineers within the electronics team.
- A first or upper second class broad-based electronic engineering honours degree from a well-established university with a strong electronics reputation (or equivalent qualification).
- At least five years’ experience working as a hardware design engineer.
- Strong proven ability in electronic design with a broad range of analogue and digital electronics design experience.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written. You will need to communicate confidently and persuasively, both in formal presentations and in less formal client and supplier liaison situations. Written reports, quotations and other documents will need to be produced accurately and in a well-written and well-presented form.
- An ability to assimilate new knowledge and information, and to learn and use new skills. A willingness to learn and try new things that you may have previously considered out of your field.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work on your own initiative.
- The ability to accurately plan the electronics development portion of projects, estimating development costs and timescales as well as final product costs.
- The ability to operate well under time deadlines and within fixed development budgets while potentially balancing the requirements of multiple concurrent projects.
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment.
- Experience of preparing development budgets, estimating the number of man-hours required for a project and then managing development activities against this allowance.
- Experience of planning and managing a project team in multidisciplinary development projects.
- The role will also include the development of electronics and software sub-systems for medical devices - training on the regulatory requirements and processes will be provided where necessary, but first-hand experience of this market sector would be of benefit.
Our staff is our most important asset. To maintain and improve our high professional standards we provide regular professional and technical training opportunities. Competitive salaries, together with other benefits such as overtime and a discretionary profit related bonus pay scheme, are offered and reviewed regularly.